What is a Migrant Exploitation Protection Work Visa or MEPV?
It is a new visa for visa holders in NZ, with an employer-specific condition. This visa allows them to leave their job quickly while the exploitation report is being investigated.
Who can apply for this visa?
- You must be in New Zealand;
- You hold a work visa that specifies their employer as a condition of their visa; and
- You are being exploited at work.
What is the process?
- You must first make a report on the Employment New Zealand website at this link – https://reportmigrantexploitation.employment.govt.nz/ or you can call this number – 0800 20 00 88.
- Employment New Zealand will make an assessment and if they find your report credible, they will give you a Report of Exploitation Assessment letter.
- You can then use the letter to apply for the MEPV.
- You must still meet the health and character requirements for a visa, however are not required to provide medical and police certificates with this visa application.
- Partners and dependent children who already hold a visa based on their relationship to a person granted an MEPV may be eligible for a further visa of the same type.
The visa conditions and duration
- If approved, the visa will be either for 6 months or for the duration of your visa.
- The visa will allow you to work for any employer.